Lets see... what do I have to write about since last week.... Well first off I passed my midterms! YAY! Since then it has been a crazy busy week.
Last weekend Forrest, Rae, Sundance, Toliver, and I went for a walk in the woods and found a little stream for the puppies to play in. I have never seen dogs that love water so much!
 |
| Toliver and Sundance enjoying the muddy water! |
 |
| Forrest and Toli Posing for a picture! |
 |
| The whole gang (- Rae taking the picture) |
Been enjoying some great rides exploring the Middleburg area. Always thought being on the back of a horse is the best way to learn the lay of the land! Also took Finn out for his first time in a while. He was diagnosed with cushings and was not being riden until that was under control because of it effects on his lamina. For you who do not know what lamina is, it is a Velcro like structure that attaches The hard out hoof wall to the inside structure of the hoof. Cushings is a common disease in older horses that arises when a small tumor other physiological problem effects the pituitary gland. More of you may know that the pituitary glad controls production of hormones. I Cushing's the pituitary gland enlarges causing the body to secretes more hormones then normal. The hormone that causes the most effect is the stress hormone cortisol. This can cause a verity of problems including immune suppression, inflammation (notably of the lamina), muscle wasting, slow healing, excess hair growth, and more. Cushing's can not be cured but fortunately Cushing's can be controlled by steroids and hormone inhibitors. Finn has been put on both and is doing well now. So we are gonna get him back in shape and keep him going for light riding to keep him healthy. He was so happy to be back out. He had a big parade walk and wanted to run up all the hills. He was a little sad I only let him walk (for his own good) cause he was feeling great!
 |
| Finn's first ride back |
 |
| Riley and Lance on one of our morning rides |
Dr. Allen was gone to a conference in Canada for a few days so Rae had a friend of Forrest's and I come over to help make dinner one night (Dr. Allen is the one who normally cooks for the family). Forrest rode up to the house with me on the four-wheeler and told me his story of when he dumped a girl off the back of the same 4wheeler once driving too crazy. Luckily I was driving! Tami joined us for dinner as well. We made a blue apron meal. Blue aprons are boxes that come with gourmet ingredients and a recipe in the mail. So all you have to do is cook the meal. Despite Forrest cutting his thumb, burning his hand, and me burning the rice first time around it turned out pretty good.

At work we had lots of bone scans with week. The gears on the bone scan wheels broke so we were having to push it around. Every horse we had was being terrible. At one point I started hitting my head against the wall... but hey we got it done! And to end the week we got a rare treat! Something to pop! We do not often see blood and puss in a referral lameness clinic to the dismay of some staff like I who are fascinated by such things. But there was a horse with an abscess on her neck that needed to be lanced using an ultrasound for guidance. He had an ultrasound and a scalped so we got to do the dirty work. (Warning graphic picture coming) Popping an abscess is a lot like popping a zit. Releases pressure, makes the horse feel better, and is oddly satisfying to weird people like me.

Other then that it has just been normal living in a barn kind of stuff! never boring with animals around! The cat loves to bring me gifts every night. So far I have had multiple mice and bats and one bird! Nasty! I brought all the horses in the morning and was undoing Finns blanket that he had managed to tear the straps on when I heard hoof steps in the barn aisle *OH CRAP*. Turn around and there was Bentley wandering the barn. I swore I latched his door. Sure enough I did... he had just broken the clip. Luckily he can't go any place too fast anymore. If it was Lance I may have had a problem.
 |
| Bentley's broken latch |
 |
| Sundance during one of Rae's hunt's, sad he couldn't eat my pancakes |
Well today I have no work plans, no plans with anyone else... So I am gonna bust through some school work, clean, drink some hot coco, take a nap, maybe take a bath, catch up on some tv.... Pretty great plans to me! So I will leave all with some quotes that I see fitting to my life right now!
 |
| This 1 is for you Riley! Love and miss you! |
 |
| Starting to understand this quote! |
 |
| For all my friends and family back home |
Hope you have a great day and if you have a moment send me a message! I may not get back to you right away but I love hearing from my CO people!
Love you all,
Kianna
What a wonderful post with so much insight as to the things you know how to do! Good for you! Sounds like a full life each day. And GREAT job passing your mid-terms while working so hard too! Fall looks so pretty back there. It is here too....wish it could last a bit longer!! Like 6 months! And good job cooking up dinner. Thanks for sharing your stories and adventures.
ReplyDeleteHi it's grandma!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete